Sunday, June 24, 2012

African Woman Up In Hurr

Soooooo Saturday was an eventful day. I got my hurr braided and that was a 4 hour process. I was going to go all out and get fake hair braided in like the African women do but some other volunteers did earlier and said it was very uncomfortable. I obviously didn't want to deal with that so I decided to just have her braid my real hair. This was the lady Sam our cook introduced us to. She was so adorable. Are you confused that their are hair salons in Africa?? Cus I would be haha
 The process
 I tied my hair in the front of my face like so and they thought it was pretty funny
 I can't decide if I look African or like someone who lives in a trailer park. 
(as Richard and Lara would say, W.T.) hahahha Regardless, how cute is my new African dress?! This is the one I got at the trade show that I traded for Caitlin's skirt 
 Later that night we all went to a local African club (mom, don't freak out, everyone was there and we were protected by Freddie, the guy we met the first day we came to Africa) and attended Miss Mbale!
 First time I've worn mascara since I've been here
 The beautiful Miss Mbale contestants. 
This was quite the experience. First of all, we heard about it from Freddie who was hosting the pagent. Second of all he asked Holly (our country director) to be a judge hahaha so that's mostly why we went. It was so interesting, the contestants walk worse in heels than me and it's obvious they have no modeling experience whatsoever. So mean of me but it's the truth. It was no Saddleback College Fashion Show (the only Fashion Show I've been to) or America's Next Top Model (the only modeling show I've seen) but it was entertaining. And these women are obviously gorgeous. While we were waiting for the show to actually start which took about 2 hours, we  got some dancing in which always makes me happy. I love myself a good dance party. In Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment