Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pondering

This post isn't going to be exciting as the others. Mostly because there aren't pictures so I apologize in advance. Not to get everyone worried about me or thinking I have Malaria (which all the Ugandans think you have when someone says they don't feel well) but I haven't been feeling that well the past couple days and have been lounging around house pondering life. It is not fun not being able to go out and do things but it's better than getting more sick. I actually feel much better today then yesterday so that's good. 

As I've been sitting around at home I've been thinking a lot about being here and what I have accomplished and what I have yet to accomplish the rest of my time here. It's hard for me to put into words so I'm going to direct you to Ashley's blog who is a volunteer here and who I've become really close with. She words everything perfectly about what I've been feeling. It's kinda long but it's worth reading because it is honestly exactly what I've been thinking. 


But seriously, read it. It's not that hard to click on that sentence.

As far as learning about myself, I've realized that I can't change the world. I can attempt to, hence why I am here but like Ashley said in her blog, it really comes with the people wanting and realizing that they have potential to change the way they live. I've also learned about what I want to do with my life and my passions. I love helping people but to the extent of making cookies for them haha. Serving these people is complicated. Not in the sense that I can't do it but in the sense that development work is a lot more complicated than I thought. Finding new projects or finding things that the people need is difficult because it takes research and change the mindset of the people. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be here attempting to help then be at home working but as far as doing this as a career I think I'll leave that to someone else. Throughout my life I would love to continue to help volunteer with various NGO's. 

As far as my future career goes I think I've figured it out. I really want to look into opening my own cafe/bakery/restaurant. I know I have so much more to learn about cooking and baking and I am willing to learn more about it by possibly going to culinary school?! I've always had a passion for cooking and baking and since I'm a huge believer in following my dreams, I really think I could do it. I mean, I am in Africa and that was a dream of mine sooooo I can do ittttt!! If opening up my own restaurant is too far fetched then I would like to own a franchise maybe? I just really want to be in the restaurant business. I went to this restaurant when I first met the people I'm in Africa with and went you bought a meal, you would feed a person in Africa. How cool is that? I know, awesome. I love that idea and think that would be awesome to do something like that. I love that being in Africa has made me realize this. That was one of the reasons why I came here besides saving the world, to get to know myself better and really figure out what I want to do as a career. Who knows, maybe within the next couple months I'll come across a project that will change my mind but as for now, that's whats up. 

I love being in Africa gaining a different perspective on a different way of life and seeing another part of the world that Heavenly Father has created. The Ugandan people humble me so much and I love the people I'm living with. I have learned so much from both groups of people. I have realized even more how blessed I am to be able to be born into a loving family who is supportive. How blessed I am to have amazing friends. How blessed I am to be born into a country that is free and developed and all that other stuff that I can't explain but have realized through living in Uganda. I love my life and I thank my Heavenly Father everyday for allowing me to be an instrument in his hands by serving his children in Uganda, Africa. Speaking of spiritual stuff, I have always thought about/considered going on a mission but since I've been here it has become apparent to me how fast that opportunity is approaching. I turn 21 in March. Seems far away but if I am serious I need to start preparing. I would really love going on a mission. I couldn't think of any greater thing than teaching others about something that has brought me true happiness. I just need to for sure figure out if I am committed which sounds so bad but if I go I need to be 100 percent in ya know? Life is good. I am so blessed. I am in Africa.

2 comments:

  1. I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~Edward Everett Hale

    Love you Melty ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it all. I am humbled to hear about all that you're learning- it is so much to handle but I think your perspective is a good one. Even if you haven't made drastic change like you had hoped- you are being aware of the world around you (all of it) and the knowledge you have gained will change your life and those around you (there is no doubt). I'm very proud of you Kelsey and supportive of whatever it is that you decide for your life (I cannot wait to sit down in your restaurant and be like "um yes can I also get a side of bread Kelsey, NBD). I can't wait to talk endlessly about things with you. You have so much to teach me.

    ReplyDelete