Monday, June 4, 2012

I love laundry...NOT

To start off the day Kara and I went running in the African weather. Finally starting to get in the habit of running here. (took me long enough) After letting out all of those endorphins I was in a real good mood so I took a nice cold shower and made some breakfast consisting of eggs and toast. Pretty much what I eat every single day for breakfast.  
Followed by breakfast I thought it would be a good idea to do some laundry. A couple weeks ago we had a lady come and do it for us but she hasn't come in a while and my clothes have been piling up so I decided to try out the hand washing. But like seriously I was literally, washing my clothes by hand
If you can't tell I absolutely hated every single moment of this. I have never been so grateful for washers and dryers in my entire life. Let's just say that is the last time I am doing laundry like that. Seriously I don't know how the Africans do it. It really does not make any sense to me.
After that joke, Kara and I went to town to get some food for the house and that took 2 hours. I thought grocery shopping in a grocery store was difficult in America. Yeah right. Here in Uganda everyone wants to charge you the "muzungu" price so you literally have to go to a million different people and bargain with them to get the actual price. 
Just to get a picture in your mind what the market is like here's a little sample.... 
It's basically what a farmers market is in America except it smells bad and there is trash everywhere and flies and babies sucking on their mothers you know what to get some milk. True story time: We were getting oranges from this lady and she just whips it out for her child as we pay her. 
We came home just as the rain started...otherwise known as perfect timing. As we were walking in the yard, I caught a nice friend named Carlee taking my clothes inside which were drying outside on the clothesline. The great thing about the people that came here is that since we all came for the same reason, to help people, we help each other. I guess you could say we are the nicest group of people you could ever meet. hahaha. For one of the projects we are working on, we are going to teach a group of women to make paper bead necklaces so they can sell them and afford to buy their family dinner. So we attempted to start making paper beads and it's much harder than we thought. You cut a thin piece of paper and roll it and it makes a bead. I know, sounds impossible but it's possible. We did it. I'll keep you posted on that...as for now I gotta get some sleep cus tomorrow we are off to my favorite place... BUNABUYOKA village!! (you can click that to see my post about it)
Speaking of which...ummmm you should really go to this website and donate. We are starting to build the health clinic tomorrow and your donations will go toward it. If you really love me and love the experiences I'm having here, you can give 10 dollars to this villageee or other projects that we are working on!!! 

2 comments:

  1. Kelsey, your pictures are amazing, Uganda looks so pretty! I love what you are doing...it wasn't very much, but I made a small donation for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Rachel that was so nice of you. Seriously oh my gosh you are amazing. I hope everything is going wondfly in Jerusalem!! From your blog it looks like your loving it!!

    ReplyDelete