Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Safari: Part One

Oh man oh man I don't even know where to begin with this weekend. Welllll we left for the Safari the night of the 4th and arrived in Kampala which is about 4 hours away. That taxi ride was not nice. Real bumby, live chickens clucking under our feet and a large women whom we named queen lateefa was dozing off on Samantha. We finally arrived in Kampala and was greeted by the guard of the camp who's name is Joe. He was wearing snow hat and a long cloak and was being hilarious. He went in one of the rooms and made sure there was room and pops his head out and says, yes please there is room for four. Mallory and I were laughing so hard. As we were getting settled for bed two Indian men from the U.N. entered and were apparently sleeping in the same place as us. We were trying to sleep and they kept trying to make conversation with Mallory. They also offered us water and bug spray and to use their cell phone charger. We told them how nice they were to offer and they said of course, it's our culture. After about 5 minutes of silence they said okay goodnight. Then one of them snored the whole night. I'm pretty sure I didn't get any sleep that night. 

We woke up nice and early the next morning to drive to where the safari actually was (about 6 hours away) with our trusty driver/tour guide, Ronald. Before arriving at the campsite we hiked up to a waterfall by the name of Murchison Falls. It was beautiful, obviously. I love these girls. We all room together in the house so we've already been close but this weekend made us even closer.

It's safe to say Mallory is the funniest person I have ever met in my life. I love her. We bonded so hard this weekend, it's not even explainable. 
Mallory and I attempted to do yoga poses. Mine didn't work out to so well. 
Hers worked out perfectly.

Let's talk about how rad this picture is.
Lets also talk about how I love them and the rainbow behind them.
After the falls we had some nice animal sightings and the safari wasn't until the next day! We spotted some water buffalo mud bathing. 
Here is a baboon we spotted who was just chillin on the side of the road. He convinced me we have evolved from primates. 
After almost a whole day of driving we finally arrived at the camp and found pumba taking a nice slumber underneath two palm trees. I attempted to be Timon. Do I look like a meercat? 
That night we got situated in our tents with two nice beds. It was real nice. We hung out around the campground with the employees who were hilarious. I bonded with this guy Raymond and we talked for a couple hours the first night just about life. I learned so much from him...I can't write this seriously while I'm looking at the picture of me attempting to be Timon. hahahahhahaha 
Let's add another picture shall we:
That's better. Ahhh I loved talking to him. It was so interesting to talk about our different cultures and hear how he grew up and his goals in life. It was such a personal experience to get to know someone who literally grew up in a different world but is still a person with dreams. I can't even explain the conversation but it was honestly life changing. Obviously...What isn't in Africa, right? I love people with an emphasis on Raymond!! Stay tuned for the actual posting of the Safari and getting to know/hang out with more employees of the camp!

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!!!! This is incredible!!! I'm so proud of you Kelsey for all that you're doing and what you've accomplished! I can totally tell you're making a great difference and having the time of your life. I love all the pictures and posts! Keep up all the great work!! We're cheering for you from home

    love your best friend Josh

    ReplyDelete