Sunday, July 8, 2012

Happy Bday America...in Africa

Who says you can't celebrate the 4th of July in Africa? Nobody, because we did. Honestly the only thing we were missing was fireworks. I do love me some exploding lights in the sky that aren't stars but when youre in Africa a good semi-American meal will have to suffice.  You name it, we had it. 
Burgers, fries, potato salad, fruit salad, watermelon, coleslaw, baked beans, deviled eggs, corn on the cob,  pineapple/ginger punch. I ate better here then I have in America on the 4th of July. Maybe it's because I haven't had American food for two months but most likely not. 
 We had so much food I needed to take two pictures because it wouldn't all fit into one! Not to mention we had so many leftovers that some people in our group ended up taking some out to random people on the street! 
 We cooked so much food, we ended up going African style and cooking on a charcoal stove. 
This is Ryan.
 Pineapple Upside down cake. Stovetop. That's how we do.
 David being David. I love him.
 The missionaries even joined! We set up a volleyball net in the front yard. 
 This little girl was adorable. She loved attempting to blow bubbles and I enjoyed assisting her.



















I might as well live here permantly. I have adapted the ways of the African people so well.
 The burning of trash is how they "throw away" trash here
 I was so full I had a "food baby" David thought it was hilarious and mentioned he had one as well.
 Sam. 
 After the celebration of American festivities Sam, myself, Mallory and Ashley were just about to embark on the best weekend of our entire lives...
I have never been so grateful to live in America in my life. Being immersed in this culture has really made me realize how good we really do have it in America. We have access to pretty much everything. There are so many opportunities and it's all so wonderful. I love that I've been able to appreciate what I have back home while being here.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kelsey,
    You don't know me, but I'm your cousin Rachel's friend Tami. I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to read your blog while you're in Uganda. I went there in 2002 with BYU over the summer, and I still miss it! It's looking like your experience is going to be just as amazing as mine, something that you'll never forget! We lived in Mukono when I was there. I believe it was only the second year the program was even around, so I bet it's changed a lot! I hope you continue to have an amazing time with the beautiful Ugandan people! By the way--we actually went to a party with the US Embassy for our fourth of July celebration. It was pretty shocking to see so many mzungus in one place after living in a village with only about 20 of us!

    ReplyDelete