Friday, July 20, 2012

Water Filters!

Today was THE BEST! Actually everyday is the best. But today was pretty dang good. We walked around Namatala Slum to advertise for HIV testing tomorrow!!! (stoked) We basically just went up to people chillin outside their homes and told them to come "know their status" and be educated on HIV. The worst part is when I told this one man to come he goes, what happens if I am HIV positive? Shoot....yeah, my heart crumbled and I said we will treat you and educate you on what to do. Seriously what do you say to that? 
Later that day....Hello lets just talk about the best experience of my life. Lets be honest, being here is the best experience of my life but this just made it 100000000000 times better!! I had the opportunity to give a community in the Namatala Slum a water filter! Here is the leader of the community giving it a test run!
They were so excited/grateful. The best part was when one woman said, "we will no longer have stomach aches" Ahhhh it was such a surreal experience to see how grateful these people were for CLEAN water. Hi, I'm Kelsey and I constantly have clean water and don't even think about it. I just have it. All the time. These people don't. They have never had clean water. Ever. Now they can actually bathe in clean water and DRINK clean water and not worry about water borne diseases!! 
 This little girl stole my heart. I couldn't resist but hold her and tickle her. I would twirl around with her in my arms and repeatedly tell her she now has clean water. She had no idea what I was saying but oh well because it's true whether she understands me or not. She would not let me leave, the worst. All I want to do is take her home and give her a bath but I just realized it's okay because she now has clean water to bath in! WOOHOOOOO!

Clean wa-ter! Clean wa-ter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment