Friday, May 11, 2012

The Bus Ride

20 people. 5 hours. 1 bus. The middle of Africa.
Yeah, I'll take it.
It started off as piling 17 people's suitcases in the back of this bus and everyone just piling in. 
The guy in the middle, he's famous here in Uganda. Everyone knows him. He's like a radio station host. I forget his name. I want to say it's Kenny or Jimmy. Something super American. 
He took us to this restaurant in and it scared me but I ate it. I got a dish called Pilao and it's just rice and chicken but like brown grainy rice as opposed to brown fluffy rice and like chicken, fresh chicken. On the bone. I was really sketched out by that, so Jimmy or Kenny finished that off for me. It was actually really funny. I like barely put a dent into my food and he goes, you have to eat that, there are children outside that are starving. He made me feel so guilty haha then he laughed and said he was kidding. Cool story right. 
My delicious looking food...NAWT
The view of Africa out the window of this huge bus was unreal. I felt like I was looking at a T.V. screen sitting on my couch rather than actually being in Africa driving by in a bus. The streets are super bumpy and there are no laws so people just drive. There is a line to divide the different sides of the road but that's about it. It's crazyness. For some strange reason I didn't even feel unsafe haha.
Ahhhhh everything about the bus ride was so great and overwhelming and African. This was one of the times it hit me that I. am. in. Africa. 
I AM HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment