Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Hike

I don't know what is up with all the "the ...." titles but get over it.
I am finally almost caught up. Yesterday was the best day so far. I don't know how I am going to explain it because it was the hardest/most rewarding experience of my entire life. I feel like I am going to have many of those experiences this summer. Let's start out with half of the group went on a hike and were told it was easy, a walk in the park blah, blah, blah. Um yeah freaken right people. 
I want to say that was the hardest hike of my life....
See that waterfall to the right wayyy off in the distance?? Totally hiked there. 
This is David, our bodyguard...he is so rad. He guards the house at night with a bow and arrow.
Hello whiddle chamilion on Kelsey's elbow
SO PRETTYYYY
The whole hike felt like we were never making progress. We had to stop many times and catch our breath because it was literally like straight up the whole time. But I loved every second of it. I mean last Saturday I was like taking a nap at my house and this Saturday I am hiking to a waterfall in Africa??


 "the ladder" Let me just explain this...see those sticks in the upper right corner? Those are all held together by rope and you climb straight up them. We saw a woman with a baby on her back and sticks on her head do it so why couldn't we right? Right.
A better view of the ladder
 Doesn't looks to bad buuuuut it is. 
The view from the ladder...that is freddy, the one I talked about earlier who's name I thought was Kenny hahaha
This little boy is Yaseen and this is his story. He is 16 years old and the nicest/funniest/sassiest little boy I have met so far. He lives in Mbale with his grandmother, aunts, uncles and cousins. He is the only child and his mom died when he was like 10 years old. His dad is never around. He told me he works for himself which consists of selling chickens and doing whatever work he can find. He invited us to go to the pool at the resort here and he saved money that he worked for in order to pay to go. He didn't complain once during the hike. He loved it. He was always there to grab my hand and lift me up when he noticed I was struggling. At one point I asked him how much longer and he said, 
"If you ask, you will fear." 

We got to a point, where we were almost there and the view was incredible.
 We walked through many villages on the way up and when we finally got to the top and the top of the waterfall was just in our sight, we ran into these little guys. They can't be more than 4 years old and they were carrying their one year old siblings on their back. Are we serious? The were ADORABLE. I had so much food and I gave them like all of it. They made the hike worth it.
I was so hot and sweaty by the time I actually reached the water fall so I just got right in. It felt so good and the view and the children made everything SO WORTH IT
 The whole hike was mind blowing. There were villiagers who grow crops along this mountain and they would go get some and hike all the way up the hill with loads of crops on their head and they would all pass us. It was so inspiring to see that that is life for them. Everyday. Unbelievable. I was so happy the whole time. I am so happy. I am so grateful. I love the Ugandan people. They are incredible. 
The hike down was the easiest. Just cruised down and ran into these adorable children in a village down the mountain...
 Freddie took us to a "house" in a village where the family grows a variety of crops such as coffee, beans, tomatoes, avacado and my new favorite fruit, PASSION FRUIT. He was kind enough to give all of us avacado and passion fruit. This is how he makes a living and he was willing to share it with us. 
Obviously the whole day was my favorite part but part of that was whenever we would pass Ugandans we say, "Membale" which means hello or how are you. When we would pass the children they would yell, MZUNGU followed by how are you and we say good how are you and they say, I'm fine" but in the cutest and most giggle voices ever. They are all so precious. 
This day was so eye opening and I can't believe I had the opportunity to experience it. 

3 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, this is BEAUTIFUL! this looks amazing and so fun! also, you're a way good blogger! have so much fun this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE you and your adventures Majita! xxxoo

    ReplyDelete