Friday, May 25, 2012

Mud Monster

For once, we didn't have any meetings or projects to work on today cus it's the end of the week and we are still trying to figure out when we are starting all of our projects...in fact, one is coming up that we are really excited about...
So remember that village that I was and still am obsessed with? We are building a health clinic there. You would not believe the little brick dungeon these women give birth in. I am not looking forward to birth already, yet alone having a child in this brick "house" with a dirt floor and no bed. I don't know how they do it. They have their child on a dirt floor and they have a midwife assist them that has no medical experience whatsoever. I don't understand. So, we are building them a health clinic. We are also going to train some of the people so they know how to actually deliver a baby and do other doctor stuff like give shots and stuff. The people are so grateful and aren't even expecting it, they just as excited as us about it! It's going to take a couple of weeks to build so I'll be posting pictures of the process. It's gunna be so awesome. We are currently making our donation site for the health clinic, so if you would like to help, it would be greatly appreicated. This village deserves it so much. 
Here's another pic I found of us in the village...
So today we worked of curiculum for youth programs to teach communication, conflict resolution, goal setting and all that fun stuff to random schools. As we were creating this, I realized I could never be a teacher. It's hard to write a lesson plan esspecially when it has to be 60-90 minutes long. Not to mention we will be teaching African children who are already so surprised when they see Mzungu's walking around yet alone us teach their class. Should be interesting. 
We needed to get out of the house and we heard of this cheap restaurant in town that was super cheap so we checked it out..
This is seriously what we eat everyday. The tortilla stuff is my favorite thing here: Chipottie. It's a mix between a thick tortilla and thin pita bread. It is delicious. Scuma is the green stuff that kinda tastes like Spinach that's pretty good and the rice is rice which is also quite delicious.
 Oh and let's not forget about the beans. These beans were actually the best beans I've had so far, besides the kind that our chef, Sam makes. But they came pretty darn close.
If you were to guess how much this whole meal was, what would you guess? Like 5 bucks maybe? Or more? Well (dun, dun dun) it was a total of.....ONE dollar. Which is equivalent to 2500 shillings here in Africa. I paid one American dollar for this whole meal. Deal? oooo yeah. 
This woman was our "server" and she loved that we were taking pictures and wanted to be in one. 
So great.
Best story ever: Kara (my new best friend here) and I were feeling obese by all the food we ate today so decided we would go on a walk around the neighborhood and ended up finding this village right up the street on this dirt path. We walked on it for a couple minutes and found all these children playing in this field and of course as soon as they see us they all run up to us and stare. We wanted to play with them so we just thought it would be fun to start chasing them. 
They loved it. We were all laughing so hard. At one point, we were all holding hands and running in a circle. It rained earlier that day (like always) so it was super muddy and what does Kelsey do? 
Totally eats it, in the mud hahahahah all the kids including me, busted up laughing and I got up and the kids couldn't decide whether it was funny or not so then I get back in the mud, put war paint on and start chasing them again. Hilarious. It was just about to get dark outside so we start walking home and as Kara and I walk back through the village to get home, everyone is staring at us first because we are mzungu's and second because I am covered in mud. Many people would laugh and others would say "Oh I am so sorry" hahahah and Kara and I would just laugh. Oh man. I love it here. I can't wait to go back and play with those little kids. That was the experience I've been waiting for. 
Everyday just keeps getting better and better. 
Life is so good. I love being here in Africa.
 P.S. This is our cat, M.J....I'm risking getting rabies because of my love for cats. But we got him when he was a kitten and he was living in a house so there is less chance of him having rabies right? Right.

No comments:

Post a Comment