Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Details

Everything has been pretty much go go go and I've been so anxious to upload pictures and let people know what I am up to I haven't really gone into details about what I have been feeling and all the little things that have been happening...

  • On the hike when I gave those cute little kids trail mix, they made sure their siblings they were carrying on their back got some. They could have easily kept all the food I gave them for themselves, but instead they made sure they shared the wealth
  • I went on my first Boda Boda ride when I swore to myself I wouldn't go on one ever because at the big meeting I went to before I came here discouraged us to. Also, I have a huge fear of motorcycles which is pretty much exactly what Boda Boda's are. Before you freak out/judge me mom, I have a good story to back up why I went on one. First, it was dark out and we were in town and it's more dangerous to be walking around then to go on a Boda Boda AND we live like 30 min walking distance from town sooooo we took the Boda Boda. It was actually less harmless than I thought. The driver was very safe and it was a good first experience. But I would still never ride a motorcycle. Hm. That's confusing. 
  • I went to church today and it was the best experience in the world. The church is true. It is the same no matter where you go!!! The members here are so dedicated. They walk 5 miles to get to church. I went to Young Women's and there are 2 girls who are sisters and 3 others who aren't related. 5 young women total. They have a lesson prepared and everything. Oh and lets just talk about the trials here in Uganda and how Satan tempts them....Satan tells them the walk to church isn't worth it or no matter what you do, nothing will become easy. Let's talk about trials in America. Oh we are too distracted with "worldly things" such as facebook or I don't even know. I can't even think about trials in America when I am surrounded by people who wash their clothes by hand. 
  • I live in the best area in Uganda. At church, the missionaries said this was the best place they have served in Africa so far. They call it "paradise." They also say it's the safest and most industrialized....(good news mom, dad and nana...right?!)
  •  The shower is so awkward. The water trinkels out of a pipe coming out of the wall and the window to the backyard is right in front of you along with the sink so you just gotta get naked in front of the window. Good times.
  • The group had a deep "getting to know you" conversation tonight...we talked about our life long dreams, what we want to get out of this summer and other deep stuff like that. I love getting to know people and figure out how they think and their different goals and what they want out of life.
  • The internet situation is a lot better than I thought it was going to be. We have wireless internet, but it's super unrealiable because they power goes on and off whenever it wants to. 
  • It rains here everyday at the same time, late afternoon. I love it. After walking around outside for so long, it feels so good to have rain apon your body. It comes down hard too. We're talking like thunder and lightening. 
  • We start on the projects this week and I am so excited to get down and dirty and finally start getting work done!!

No comments:

Post a Comment