Saturday, August 18, 2012

Birthday in Bududa

Today's day came pretty close as one of the best days here besides the dental camp. Actually, I can't say that, every single day I've been in Africa has been incredible. So just know every time I post, it's an exceptional day unless I say otherwise. I started off the day making homemade pancakes for Maddy's birthday!! I topped them with bananas and syrup and powdered sugar and 3 candles. 
 She was really caught off guard hahaha

 



 








Her mom sent a present with her in her suitcase so she could open it on her birthday and it was decorations so David and I decorated the house!! We had too much fun.
Our romantic picture is probably my favorite picture of all time. 
 
What better way to celebrate a birthday then going to Bududa and pass out all of the clothes we collected for the past week? Right? Right. 
It was about an hour drive and we rode in the back of the truck sitting on top of the clothes the whole way there. It was actually pretty comfortable. We ended up sleeping it was that relaxing. 
 Oh and I also braided Holly's hurr
This was the huge box I talked about in my last post. So huge it took 4 Ugandan men to carry it. 
So the place where we took all of the clothes was something I would like to compare to a homeless shelter. This is not even half of the people that were affected but it was still a great turnout. 
This is all of the clothes we collected!!
We were really excited about the passing out of the clothing, obviously.
My friend Raymond that I met on the Safari who I switched sweatshirts with requested I give his sweatshirt to someone in Bududa when I told him about the project. So here is me handing off his sweatshirt to a little boy who needs it more than me.
SUCCESS!!
The man on the left is Derek and he's the man who's truck brought us to Bududa. Michael is on the right and he's the one we partnered with in order to pass out these donations. Good people.
The ride home was gorgeous. We kinda fell asleep too and it was great because we literally all layed flat in the truck so people thought we were dead muzungus. hahahah
To say the least, it was a successful day. And that was only the beginning. We got home ready to actually celebrate the birth of Maddy by attempting to get dressed up. Not gunna lie, it felt awkward trying tot look semi-decent in Africa.
 



We went to our favorite cafe in town and took a picture of our favorites, Olivia and Sara who work there. We pretty much go there everyday and have become "regulars" and they are always so excited to see us. They are so cute. 
 Just waiting for our food
Shared a rolex. I will be making these when I arrive back in America
Tyrell was randomly there. We love each other.
 Let's talk about how beautiful the sky is on the way home from town on a Boda
 Let's also talk about how Maddy requested this meal for her birthday and Sam nailed it. 
Holly and I were trying to light these candles and they ended up exploding. IT WAS THE FUNNIEST THING EVER
 Custom cake that was supossed to be made by me buuuut didn't really work out so I handed off the ingredients to Sam's boss and he made it. It was interesting tasting but it's beautiful looking which is all that counts I guess haha
  Maddy was obsessed with this dress that she kept seeing in town so I got it for her. She was super surprised. The birthday princess herself. It was just a really good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment