Monday, August 6, 2012

Lasagne

The first couple weeks in Africa, Sam the chef mentioned to me he wanted to learn how to make Lasagne. He watched the movie Garfield and was inspired to have it. He asked the right person considering my gma makes the best Lasagne ever! This reciepe was inspired by you Grandma! 
I've been visiting Sam's restaurant lately and been assisting Sam making food for guests! I've become besties with the staff and they've seen me assisting Sam so they were really excited when they found out I was going to be the head chef making Lasagne in which nobody knew what that was.


This is Issa, Sam's boss. One of the coolest Ugandan's I've ever met. He loves us.
Part 1: Success
 We are so official, it's kinda the best.
As you probably know, Lasagne calls for Mozzerella cheese but the cheese here is terrible. It literally smells/tastes like stinky feet. We ditched the mozzy and used Gouda which actually tasted normal.
 We had a bit of a problem with the noodles hahaha
 This man is the chef when Sam is cooking for us at our house. We ran out of milk so he went and got some for us in the pouring rain! Why milk you ask? Well, since cottage cheese doesn't exist in Uganda, I made the executive decision to mix the Gouda cheese with milk to make a cottage cheese like consistancy. It worked. I'm a genus.
 Just before the assembling. Oh and let me mention measuring cups/spoons don't exist therefore I just eyeballed everything. Future culinary student over hurrrr
 Good look for me right?
 It looked good but I was honestly terrified it wouldn't taste as good as it looked...WRONG-O. 
It was delicioussssss 
My biggest critics were the people I live with and they loved it. They wanted seconds they loved it so much. The staff loved it too, including Sam. His dream of eating Lasagne came true. 

After a couple hours in the kitchen we ended our successful meal with some African tea...

...and the dishes. Let's just look out the window of that beautiful African sunset. 
I feel like I'm part of the staff here now at this restaurant. I know everyone's name. They know mine. They get all excited when I come. I just want to work here forever. Oh and Sam is really thinking about putting it on the menu. How rad would that be.

No comments:

Post a Comment